Friday, September 23, 2016

Don't Be A Drag Just Be A Queen



Okay, so if you follow me on Twitter you probably know by now that I am mildly obsessed with drag queens. I started watching RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars 2 several weeks ago, simply because my mom had it on the TV, and from there I have become completely enamored with both the show and drag queens in general.




I remember watching bits of the first season with my mom many years ago when it first aired, and I thought it was pretty cool and fun. It was interesting sure, but I didn't understand the draw to it. Now, however, I can finally relate to those people who tweet almost exclusively about their favorite drag queens.



What I realized the other night, while I was watching an episode of Season 5 of RuPaul's Drag Race, is that I don't just like it for its entertainment and drama. I love the over-the-top, overtly feminine aspect of it. I love the way guys can be girls and girls can be guys, and it's totally awesome. I love the characters they create and the freedom they have to be whoever they want.




On a more personal level, I realized drag makes me feel like even I can be feminine. Despite being a female, I struggle a lot with feeling like my body is too masculine, like I look like a boy. But if people who are males can be women, then I feel like I can be too. I know that might sound silly, but drag queens have helped me to feel more like myself, more feminine, and to not worry so much about being normal.




I have also been very inspired in my art. (I tried doing drag makeup on myself the other night, but we won't talk about that.) I am, however, working on my makeup a lot more recently. I'm still trying to perfect my winged eyeliner, which is a struggle each time. My eyebrows are another thing I'm working on. If only they'd grow in faster.



I have also been trying to draw faces with makeup, which led me to making up my own queens. I've been practicing a lot with colored pencils now, too. It's super fun to color in contours and eye makeup, something I've never been good at. Now I pretty much only want to draw girls with awesome, bold makeup.




On a side note, I am pretty much in love with Katya. Her laugh is the best thing in existence. I still can't find Season 7 for free online, which I want to watch more than anything. But Katya's in the new season, and I binge watched her Youtube channel one night after watching All Stars 2. Some of my other fave queens (so far) are Alaska, Detox, Sharon Needles, and Alyssa Edwards. But Katya is #1.



No comments:

Post a Comment